- Verify if in fact the organization you are donating to is accepting donations for the specified charity.
- If so, make sure the mailing address to send the donation is accurate.
- Try not use a credit card or a debit card. Preferably send a cashier’s check from your bank and not from your personal checking account.
- If donating via an online service like GoFundMe.com, again make sure the charity is legitimate and be cautious about giving personal financial information, like credit/debit card numbers, PIN numbers, etc.
- Be very wary if they ask for donations ONLY using Western Union.
- And finally, legitimate charity organizations do not solicit donations in the form of gift cards.
THE DEPARTMENT OF THE PROSECUTING ATTORNEY 1060 Richards St., Honolulu HI 96813 808-768-7400 | Office hrs: Mon – Fri, 7:45 am – 4:30 pm www.honoluluprosecutor.org/contact-us/