Summer means tons of local produce is in season and readily available. A variety of nutrients and antioxidants can likewise be found in Hawai‘i’s abundance of crops and seafood, which help to improve eye health and decrease the risk of certain ocular diseases.
Local eye doctors urge everyone residing in the state to take advantage of summer’s supply of fresh foods, looking out for these local ingredients to support strong eye health:
• Pineapple and lychee are great sources of vitamin C and packed with antioxidants
• Avocados provide loads of vitamin E
• Taro is packed with nutrients such as zinc, iron, potassium and vitamins A, C, E plus B6
• Mangoes, sweet potatoes and papaya are great sources for consuming beta-carotene
• Local species of mushrooms and seaweed provide beta-glucans
• Leafy, green vegetables such as watercress, taro greens and bok choy are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin
• Omega-3 fatty acids are found in many varieties of local fish: tuna, opah, sablefish (also known as butterfish) and swordfish.
HAWAIIAN EYE CENTER
606 Kilani Ave., Wahiawa, HI 96786
808-621-8448 | Hawaiianeye.com