Even in the Islands it can get chilly during the winter months and on those days there’s nothing more satisfying or easy to prepare as a home-made soup. This soup provides a good dose of protein from the chicken breast, lots of fresh ingredients that pack on the flavor and a creamy broth of limey coconut.
- 1 15-oz. can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 15-oz. cans of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can of sweet corn, reserve liquid
1 cup water
- 1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thinly into strips
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger root
- 2 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
(eg. Mae Ploy spring roll dipping sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 4 kafir lime leaves, sliced thing
(substitute the zest from the lime)
- 1 handful rice noodles
(find these in your Asian section)
- 1 cup rough chopped cilantro
(stems and leaves)
Soak your rice noodles in a bowl of water as you prep the soup base. In a medium saucepan, combine the first four ingredients and bring to a gentle boil. Add the scallion, onion, ginger and chicken and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through. Add the noodles, sweet chili sauce, fish sauce, sliced kafir and lime juice. Ladle soup into bowls and top with fresh cilantro.
Serves: 4 | Time: 20 minutes
Wine pairing: Sauvignon blanc
Chef Michi’s Cooking FRESH
808-286-6484 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Kona Bean Cafe’ at Hilo Hattie – 700 Nimitz Hwy.
Queens POB I – 1380 Lusitana St.
Queens POB II – 550 S. Beretania St.
Cooking FRESH Food Truck:
Follow us on Twitter, michi@cookingfresh4U