Featuring olive oil and herbs, this one-dish dinner cooks for less than a half an hour, yet has the satisfying, melded flavor of a long-simmered stew.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs (about 3 lbs.), with skin on
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, sliced paper thin
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 tsp. dry)
- 1 14-oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup black olives, sliced in half
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- Fresh basil or green onion, thinly sliced
In a large pan with a lid, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, and brown well on both sides. Remove chicken from the pan. Drain off some of the oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon.
Add the onion, garlic and rosemary and stir for about 3 minutes, then add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and scrap off any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the liquid reduce by half. Add the tomatoes, olives and tomato paste and stir to blend. Add the chicken, skin side up, cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
Before serving, top with fresh basil or green onion.
Serves: 4 | Time: About 35 minutes
For more of Chef Michi’s fresh recipes, visit www.cookingfreshforyou.com | 808-286-6484 | firstname.lastname@example.org Also, visit her Cooking FRESH locations: 909 Kapahulu Ave. Queens POB I – 1329 Lusitana St., Queens POB II – 550 S. Beretania St. Lunch Truck – UH Manoa on East West Road by Kennedy Theatre.