How to Get or Replace a SS Card

Now that your Hawai‘i driver’s license does not have your Social Security number on it, you may need to get an original or replacement card to use as a separate piece of identification. Getting or replacing your Social Security card is a free service.

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
• Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
• Have a driver’s license or a state-issued ID card from one of the many participating states.

If you cannot apply for a card online, you will need to present required documents at your local Social Security office. Documents vary based on your citizenship and the type of card you are requesting.

Visit and click on Learn What Documents You Need. Also fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; then, deliver or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.

For questions, online applications or to make an appointment to visit a SSA office, call 7am–5pm, Mon–Fri:
800-772-1213 (toll free) |


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.