Property owners who meet certain eligibility requirements may apply to the City and County of Honolulu for a real property tax credit to reduce their property taxes. Depending on your age, you may qualify for a tax credit equal to the amount of taxes owed for the 2015 and 2016 tax year that exceed 3 or 4 percent of the total of the titleholders’ income. For homeowners 75 or older, the rate is 3 percent. If approved, the tax credit will be applied to the July 1, 2016 –June 30, 2017, tax year.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Homeowner must have a home exemption for the 2015 and the 2016 tax years.
- Titleholders of the property cannot own other property anywhere.
- The combined income of all titleholders for the 2014 calendar year does not exceed $60,000.
How do I apply for this tax credit?
Applications are available at:
- All satellite City Hall locations
- Treasury Division at 530 South King St. Room 115, Honolulu
- Tax Relief Section at 715 South King St. Room 505, Honolulu
- http://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/bfs/bfs_docs/bfstreasurytaxcredit applicationfinal.pdf
Applications must be filed by Sept. 30, 2015, and must be filed annually. For further information, please call 808-
*Information subject to change without notice.
Tax Relief Office