Each year the Honolulu Department of Parks and Recreation is honored to help organize the Mayor’s Memorial Day Ceremony at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, commonly known as “Punchbowl” or Pūowaina. This year the ceremony marks the 70th year under the tutelage of the City and County of Honolulu, and will be held on Monday, May 27, 2019.
As part of our duty to remember those who gave their lives in service to our country, the City partners with numerous organizations to ensure every single one of the nearly 38,000 graves within Punchbowl is adorned with an American flag and a fresh lei for the ceremony. If you have never experienced this awe-inspiring, uniquely local display of mahalo and aloha, we invite to see it for yourself the morning of Memorial Day.
But before we can enjoy this remarkable gesture of gratitude, we need your help to make all of those leis. You can contribute to this patriotic cause in several ways:
- By volunteering your time and lei-making joy at one of our events held island-wide.*
- By donating plumeria flowers or pre-made leis (22” to 24” in length untied) at designated O‘ahu drop-off locations, including the Honolulu Fire Department stations from 8am–6pm.*
- By dropping off Ti leaf donations by Monday, May 20 at the Mission Memorial Building Complex located in the Honolulu Civic Center.
- By volunteering at Ti leaf lei-making events held at Botanical Gardens throughout Spring.
April 17 (Wed), May 15 (Wed), 10am–12pm
– Wahiawā Botanical Garden | 628-1190
May 21 (Tue), 10am–12:30pm
– Foster Botanical Garden | 768-7135
(Ti-Leaf only: drop-off and lei-making)
May 23 (Thurs), 10am–3pm (Adults Only)
– Kāne‘ohe Senior Center | 233-7317
May 24 (Fri), 8:30 am–12:00 pm
– Waipahu District Park | 675-6030
May 24 (Fri), 9am–12pm
– Kailua District Park | 266-7652
– Kīlauea District Park | 768-6713
– Mānoa District Park | 768-6703
– Wai‘anae District Park | 696-5039
– Waialua District Park | 637-9721
– Makua Ali‘i Senior Center | 973-7258
May 24 (Fri), 10am–1pm
– Honolulu Hale | 768-7135
May 25 (Sat), 8am–6pm (lei donations only) – Punchbowl
For further details, please check online or contact us with any questions! Mahalo for your participation!
HONOLULU DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION
* In addition, check for updates and details with your local Fire Department and community center bulletins.