While there are many forms of travel, it is nice to have a group to go with and just plain wonderful to have someone else handle all the planning and preparation. So here are 8 travel companies that either specialize in planning trips exclusively for travelers over 50 or offer trips that will accommodate their needs.
Hiking and biking
● Country Walkers: Your trek can be fully guided, partially guided or totally independent. Select a trip from one of five levels from “easy” to “challenging” based on miles covered.
● Senior Cycling: If you love traveling by bicycle, check out these small tours (a maximum of 13 participants). Tours vary in difficulty from easy to advanced treks, based on mileage and terrain. They also design custom group packages.
● Backroads: This company specializes in active vacations, such as biking, walking, and hiking. Their “Dolce Tempo” tours include a winery tour in California via e-bike and a leisurely tour in Norway.
● Walking the World: This company offers walking and hiking adventures for multi-day trips in both U.S. and worldwide destinations, such as Rocky Mountain National Park and Ireland. All trips are rated by mileage and difficulty.
● ElderTreks: ElderTreks concentrates on taking small groups on unique adventures, such as wildlife safaris and cultural journeys. Their tours are rated from 1 to 5, from easy to challenging.
Immerse yourself in culture
● Firebird Tours: Firebird Tours takes small groups to tour places in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, South Africa, Morocco, and North America. Themes include local cuisine, opera, history, architecture and theater. They will even arrange a tour just for you and your family to focus on individual preferences.
● Road Scholar: This company has been in business since 1975, and its offerings are filled with lectures, tours, field trips and a variety of educational experiences. You can also try their Grandparent Adventures, or even a cruise.
Women-only or solo
● Overseas Adventure Travel: This company’s flexible and personalized itineraries welcome solo travelers, regardless of traveling experience. Additionally, they offer exclusive, women-only getaway adventurers.
SOCIETY OF CERTIFIED SENIOR ADVISORS
The SCSA educates and supports specialists in aging dedicated to improving lives of older adults.
1-800-653-1875 | csa.us