At the YMCA of Honolulu, our programs and services are tailored to meet all ages, abilities and goals — and so are our yoga classes! All health and fitness facility Y Branches offer a range of yoga classes for kūpuna, from ones that will bring on a light sweat to others that will give you a soothing stretch while seated on a chair.
As a sanctuary for those getting stronger and doing their best to keep healthy, we at the YMCA encourage our seniors to explore yoga, as it:
- Strengthens bones and protects joints
- Builds balance and flexibility
- Sharpens the mind and improves mood
- Minimizes hypertension
- Improves the respiratory system
- Encourages calm and mindfulness
When practiced with our experienced yoga instructors on a regular basis, you can be sure you’ll enjoy many of these benefits!
Feeling unsure about trying it out? We understand. Here are a few tips that will help you enjoy your first senior yoga class at the Y!
- Talk to our yoga instructor before class. Let them know if it’s your first time (or your first few times) and what conditions you may be challenged with that could make you feel dizzy or cause pain. Ask them any questions you may have about the class.
- Talk to your fellow students. We have a large kūpuna population who enjoy working out at each of our Y’s and who love yoga! Most of these members regularly attend their classes and are eager to meet and help you! You can also ask them how yoga has helped them in their lives — to encourage you to keep coming!
- Use a wall, use the props. When you go to a yoga class, there will be yoga props available, such as blocks, straps, and pads for your knees. Use everything you can to feel comfortable and make the class manageable — especially during your first few times. For standing and balancing poses, use a wall to prop yourself up to ensure you feel stable while trying the poses out.
YMCA of Honolulu
Contact your closest Y Branch for membership, discount opportunities and other activity schedules and information.
SENIOR YOGA CLASSES
Hatha Yoga M / 2:15 pm
Senior Stretch Yoga W / 10:30 am
Gentle Yoga M, W, F / 12:10 pm
Tu, Th / 10:15am
Yin/Yang Yoga Tu, Th / 4:30 pm
with Back Care
Gentle Yoga M / 8 am
Stretch & Relax Tu, Th / 8 am
M / 7:30 pm
Iyengar base Yoga W / 8 am
Senior Yoga M, W / 7 am
Hatha Yoga W / 9:45 am
F / 10 am
Su / 9:05 am
Chair Yoga Tu / 12:15 pm
F / 11:15 am
Stretch and Relax M, W / 5:30 pm
Hatha Yoga M / 6:45 pm
Yin Yoga F / 6:45 pm
Gentle Yoga Tu / 10 am
Hatha Yoga Th / 10:05 am
Sunrise Stretch M, F / 6:30 am
W / 6:15 am
Sunrise Yoga Tu, Th / 6:30 am
Gentle Yoga M, F / 11:30 am
Senior Chair Stretch Tu / 11:45 am
Basic Yoga W / 12:15 pm
Hatha Yoga Sa / 9:15 am