Exercises performed in water is truly magical. The liquid density in the pool increases the amount of workout that you would have compared with the equivalent exercise on land without the fear of falling or damaging fragile joints. It allows you to move in ways you never thought you were capable of. Many forms of land exercise are now being adapted to the pool.
Benefits of water exercise:
- Increases flexibility and balance .
- Increases muscular and bone strength.
- Water’s buoyancy means less strain on knees, ankles and hips.
- Improves cardiac fitness levels.
- Burns calories by engaging the large muscle groups.
- Relaxes the entire body.
- Increases levels of serotonin resulting in overall feeling of wellness.
Types of water exercises:
- Swimming — A complete whole-body and cardiovascular workout with interval training.
- Water Aerobics — Whether in shallow or deep water, major muscle groups & full body movements are engaged.
- Walking — Love to walk? Take it to the pool or ocean and double the output.
- Aqua Zumba — A modified version of Zumba using water resistance to intensify the moves.
- Ai Chi — Similar to Tai Chi. It combines deep breathing and slow/large movements.
- Kick Boxing — Taking this sport from the gym to the pool using adapted punches and kicks.
- Aquatic exercise is fun, challenging and gentle to your body. You receive in turn a healthier, stronger, younger and happier you.
Find out locations closest to you through the city parks and seniors club listings: 973-7258.