Have you heard that laughter is the best medicine? Well, it’s no joke. Our bodies love laughter!
When we laugh out loud we create a positive energy that makes us feel less grumpy, happier and more content with our life.
As we age, we are often faced with many challenges surrounding family, finances, and our health — just to name a few.
When we laugh for at least ten minutes a day it provides numerous health benefits.
- Laughter improves our oxygen intake, in turn helping keep organs and tissues healthy and strengthens the immune system.
- Laughter causes a release of endorphins, characterized as “feel good chemicals.” These endorphins help us to relax and reduce stress levels.
- After a good laugh, the heart rate slows and our blood pressure drops naturally, leaving the body in a restful state.
- Laughter is great exercise for face muscles.
- Laughter lifts spirits and creates a greater sense of well-being.
- Laughter can reduce arthritic pain.
So for health’s sake watch funny TV shows and movies, think of funny stories or jokes and share them with others. Smile often and try to find humor in all situations, even the tough ones.
As Bill Cosby once said, “If you can find humor in anything, you can survive it!”